Friday was my birthday (22, again of course before you ask) and I’ve been thoroughly spoilt all weekend.
Friday was cheesecake at tea-time, followed by a pub lunch. Got home to a surprise visit from friends who came bearing dinner. Saturday was spent baking and then this morning we made a trip to the French Market and picked up supplies before DH cooked a huge brunch. Lots of friends stopping in for visits too which has been awesome.
Food featuring strongly as usual, I made myself a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting… recipe at the end of the post.
Leaving the Market
Destructaboy & I
Anne & Destructaboy
The Diva with pancake
Red Velvet Cake (care of Smitten Kitchen)
Yield: 3 cake layers
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups canola oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
6 tablespoons red food coloring or 1 teaspoon red gel food coloring dissolved in 6 tablespoons of water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease 3 round 9-inch layer cake pans and line bottoms with baking paper.
2. Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
3. Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. With machine on low, very slowly add red food coloring. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
4. Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
5. Divide batter among pans, place in oven and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pans 20 minutes. Then remove from pans, flip layers over and peel off parchment. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting (care of Casey Cooks)
4 225gr packages cream cheese, softened
225gr unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth. Add vanilla and then the icing sugar one cup at a time. Refridgerate for 30 minutes before using.