What is your favourite dessert?
I find it hard to pick just one favourite, but for now its probably the soft-centred chocolate pudding at Verbena Bar & Bistro. Its ridiculously good!
I’m also a sucker for a good creme brulee.
For something home made it’d be the self saucing chocolate pudding recipe from an oldSouth African magazine. The recipe is below…
SONJA SE GUNSTELING (CHOCOLATE PUDDING IN “SELF-SAUCE”)
(Sarie Marais 01/08/1973)
1½ cups boiling water
1½ cups brown sugar
3 D/spoons cocoa powder
Boil together for a few minutes and keep warm.
¼ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 t/spoons baking powder
1½ D/spoons cocoa powder
¾ cup milk
½ t/spoon vanilla
1. Beat butter and sugar till creamy.
2. Add well-beaten egg. Mix well.
3. Sift dry ingredients and fold into first mixture – alternatively
with the milk.
4. Add vanilla. Mix.
5. Pour into large, deep, buttered oven dish.
6. Pour warm sauce over batter.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in medium oven (170 – 180ºC) till done.
8. Sauce forms in bottom and pudding rises to top.
9. Very nice with ice cream.